Today we will talk about vegan fashion. Many animal species die every year to produce fashion clothing and accessories. However, the alternatives vegan appear little by little. The vegan fashion banned animal testing and the production of materials of animal origin (leather, wool, velvet and silk). Usually, plant fibers (cotton, linen, etc.), synthetic (viscose) or recycled fibers are favored. It is often thought that animal materials are biodegradable but the products used often make them impossible to decompose. In addition, these processes pollute through the wastewater discharged by the tanneries into waterways, which then poison the surrounding populations and ecosystems.
How do you know if you can trust a brand that claims to be vegan? There are labels, often quality pledge such as PETA, One Voice, Choose cruelty free, Vegan society... To obtain certification, companies must respect a certain number of criteria in favor of animal welfare. In addition, there is also the label Naturleder which guarantees eco-friendly leather and covers all stages of leather processing.
Les créateur·trice·s cherchent leur inspiration dans la nature ou en réutilisant les ressources déjà existantes pour éviter le gaspillage. Donc, voici une sélection de marques qui développent des vêtements, chaussures et accessoires vegan.
100% natural brands
- The first brand is called " Zouri " and comes from Portugal. It manufactures vegan shoes in linen, hemp, organic cotton certified GOTS and Fair Trade . They use the " Piñatex® " (made from pineapple plant waste, created by Carmen Hijosa and inspired by a traditional Filipino garment). For the outer soles, they use from waste collected from the oceans. In fact, this brand is therefore respectful of animal welfare and the environment. Their price range goes from 39€ to 68€ for sandals and from 89€ to 139€ for sneakers.
- The French brand Esprit Liège is the second one we will talk about. It proposes vegan objects (jewels, bags, wallets, hats and other accessories) made of cork, PETA certified. durable (about 20 years of life), biodegradable, hypoallergenic, antifungal and waterproof. Moreover, its production does not require any toxic chemical products. The cork oak absorbs twice as much CO2 as any other tree. For a bag, it is necessary to count between 34,90€ and 94,90€. The price of wallets and jewelry is between 19,90€ and 44,90€. Hats cost between 34,90€ and 54,90€. For accessories, you will find between 14,90€ and 39,90€ depending on what you want. There's something for everyone!
- In terms of vegan fashion, the brand " Minuit sur Terre " is particularly innovative. To replace leather, some entrepreneurs use unsold fruit. They have therefore created a new type of vegetable "leather" called " Fruitleather ". This French brand produces bags, shoes and belts made of " grape leather " (made from wine waste) or made from apples. In addition, their lining are made with plastic bottles fished from the Mediterranean and recycled. They offer several models of bags in "grape leather " between 160 and 210€ and shoes at 135€. For apple-based vegetable matter, there are only bags between 190 and 210€ and belts in 35 and 55€.
- As I mentioned above, some designers are inspired by existing objects and resources to make a vegan product like the brand REEV created by the association ANRH working for the professional and human integration of people with disabilities. They manufacture accessories and luggage by recycling inner tubes. Their prices range from 8€ to 250€ and they currently offer bags, accessories, belts and clothing.
- Crossing the ocean, we can quote the Canadian brand Matt&Nat. For leather goods, it uses recycled materials (nylon, cardboard, rubber, cork, bicycle tires...). Linings are made from recycled plastic bottles. This brand is quite high-end: their price range starts at 18€ and ends at 240€ (prices may change depending on exchange rates).
The " grape leather " is an initiative of the start-up Vegea. Twenty-six billion liters of wine are produced every year. Knowing that ten liters of wine generate 2.5kg of waste which then produce 1m2 of wine leather. It is possible to produce more than 2.5 billion square meters of wine leather per year. No animals are injured and exploited to produce this material. Their technology is also used to recycle used wine leather into new wine leather.
Concerning the biodegradable material from apple residues , this one comes from Denmark. The designer is one of the approved vegan manufacturers of PETA UK, like Piñatex.
There are many other vegan fashion brands such as Good Guys Don't Wear Leather, the German brand Bleed or Poétique Paris. In this liste, you can find the brands that have received the mention "Crueltyfree" if you are interested. The development of these vegetal materials and the presence of alternatives on the fashion market prove that it is not necessary to use animal herds. These are responsible for suffering, health risks and environmental pollution.
I hope that this article has taught you more about vegan fashion and that you like the brands mentioned. If you know of others, please feel free to mention them in the comments.
SUBSCRIBE TO THE ONLINE MAGAZINE
Receive the new content directly to your inbox.
Putois, A. (2017). Les alternatives au cuir animal abondent : en voici quelques-unes. Consoglobe. Consulté en septembre 2020 https://www.consoglobe.com/alternatives-au-cuir-animal-cg
Blog « Miss Petits Produits ». Cruelty-free et vegan : tout savoir. Consulté en septembre 2020 https://www.misspetitsproduits.com/cruelty-free-et-vegan/
Quelles sont les alternatives au cuir animal ? Consulté en septembre 2020 https://shineboutique.fr/quelles-sont-les-alternatives-au-cuir-animal/
Blog « Il était une veggie ». Cuir vegan ou végétal, découvrez les vraies alternatives au cuir. Consulté en septembre 2020 https://iletaituneveggie.com/cuir-vegan-cuir-vegetal-decouvrez-les-vraies-alternatives-au-cuir/
Site « Funky veggie ». La mode végane: nos 10 marques préférées. Consulté en septembre 2020 https://www.funkyveggie.fr/2018/06/19/la-mode-vegane-nos-10-marques-preferees-et-dispos-en-e-shop/